British tourists issued Spain holiday warning

Spain is one of the UK’s top holiday destinations but British tourists will have to follow some rules.

The Government has issued new advice for Britons driving in Spain as the country has introduced several low emission zones.

A spokesperson said: “Some inner city areas in Spain have introduced low emission zones, ‘zonas de bajas emisiones’ (ZBE) where only vehicles that meet specific exhaust emission standards and display an air pollution sticker can enter.

“While air pollution stickers cannot be issued to vehicles with foreign registration plates, some cities do require you to register your vehicle in advance of travel if you wish to enter a low emission zone.

“You should check with local authorities in advance of travel for information on local regulations and the requirements for vehicles registered outside of Spain.”

READ MORE The best places in the UK to retire named – full list

They added: “Some cities also operate emergency anti-pollution protocols to limit exhaust emissions when air pollution levels are high.

“When activated, vehicle access is restricted and speed limits are imposed. Follow the instructions of the local authorities.”

British tourists may need to register their vehicle in advance if they’re driving their car in a low emission zone city.

Don’t miss…
‘I’m a hotel cleaner and you should always flush the toilet when you arrive’[INSIDER]
British tourists issued bedbug warning – key signs[WARNING]
Spain holiday warning as top destination hit with ‘significant disruption’[SPAIN]

ZBEs will be applied throughout the year with some already in place in cities across Spain. Britons could face a hefty fine if they break the rules.

Towns and cities with ZBEs

  • Madrid
  • Rivas-Vaciamadrid (Madrid)
  • Barcelona
  • Seville
  • Zaragoza
  • Cordoba
  • A Coruna
  • Pontevedra
  • Pamplona
  • Badalona (Barcelona)
  • Cornellà de Llobregat (Barcelona)
  • Hospitalet de Llobregat (Barcelona)
  • Sant Cugat del Vallès (Barcelona)

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Some regions have asked for extensions and may not implement their ZBEs until 2024. These include Malaga, Granada and Palma de Mallorca.

British tourists will need a UK sticker to drive their car outside the UK and must drive on the right hand side of the road in Spain.

Looking to explore Europe by car? Check out one of the continent’s best road trips.

Source: Read Full Article